Tycho 0.13.0 Release
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-06 18:22:06 UTC
Hi Igor,

We would like to have a Tycho 0.13.0 release with the current state. There are still a few bugs scheduled for 0.13.0<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced;order=Importance;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;bug_status=NEW;bug_status=ASSIGNED;bug_status=REOPENED;product=Tycho;target_milestone=0.13.0>, but I don't consider them urgent enough to postpone the release further. We have achieved quite a bit in 0.13.0 (see release notes<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.13>/bug list<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=Technology&product=Tycho&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_milestone=0.13.0&order=bug_id&query_based_on=>), and we (at SAP) would like to be able to benefit from these achievements.

Could you please do the version update and stage 0.13.0? I don't mind if we use the merge or cherry-pick branching approach (we discussed last time ;-) I actually rather see the advantages of the cherry-pick approach we used the last time...

Best regards
Tobias
Igor Fedorenko

Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-07 07:58:33 UTC
Or in 0.14.0. I wouldn't mind an extra branch for a bugfix-only release 0.13.1, but (at least in theory) we wanted to release more often so that 0.14.0 shouldn't be more than 6 weeks away.

So, yes, it would be great if you could stage 0.13.0 now :-)

Best regards
Tobias
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-09 16:28:00 UTC
Hi Igor,

Any predictions when you will have time for the 0.13.0 staging?

Regards
Tobias

P.S.: But don't let it spoil your weekend... ;-)

Tobias
Igor Fedorenko
2011-09-10 14:56:26 UTC
I created tycho-0.13.x branch and staged [1] and pushed corresponding
changes to github. master is 0.14.0-SNAPSHOT now. Let me know if I
messed up anything or announce the staged release if everything is in order.

[1] https://repository.sonatype.org/content/repositories/tycho-002/

--
Regards,
Igor
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-12 14:04:54 UTC
Thanks for staging! I tried it out on some internal projects, and it works as expected.

As for tycho-extras: Would it be much effort to stage tycho-extras 0.13.0 into the same staging repository?
I've already updated the versions in the tycho-extras Git, and managed to build it locally without references to the staging repo: it builds if you have built (mvn install) Tycho 0.13.0 locally before.

Cheers
Tobias
Igor Fedorenko

Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-13 07:02:28 UTC
In that case I would propose to stage tycho-extras 0.13.0 separately, but either would be fine for me.

Regards
Tobias
*Sent:* 06 September 2011 20:22
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
We have achieved quite a bit in 0.13.0 (see release notes
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.13>/bug list
<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=Technology&produ
ct=Tycho&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_milestone=0.13.0&or
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
der=bug_id&query_based_on=>),
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-16 22:19:30 UTC
Hi Igor,

Are there any problems with the tycho-extras staging? Is there anything I can help you with?

*Sent:* 06 September 2011 20:22
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
We have achieved quite a bit in 0.13.0 (see release notes
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.13>/bug list
<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=Technology&produ
ct=Tycho&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_milestone=0.13.0&or
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
der=bug_id&query_based_on=>),
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-19 11:01:41 UTC
Hi Igor,

Any updates on the staging of tycho-extras 0.13.0? We need the release of both tycho and tycho-extras before we can benefit from the work we have done for 0.13.0, so it would be good to have this release soon.

Is there anything we can do to make the process of releasing Tycho easier and faster? How do other projects without committer from Sonatype get their content into Maven central? Would this be an option for Tycho? Would it help if we fixed the release dates of Tycho in advance, allowing you to better plan the efforts needed for a release?

Regards
Tobias
*Sent:* 06 September 2011 20:22
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
We have achieved quite a bit in 0.13.0 (see release notes
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.13>/bug list
<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=Technology&produ
ct=Tycho&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_milestone=0.13.0&or
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
der=bug_id&query_based_on=>),
Igor Fedorenko

*Sent:* 06 September 2011 20:22
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
We have achieved quite a bit in 0.13.0 (see release notes
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.13>/bug list
<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=Technology&produ
ct=Tycho&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_milestone=0.13.0&or
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
der=bug_id&query_based_on=>),
Igor Fedorenko
2011-09-20 02:28:16 UTC
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
Hi Igor,
Any updates on the staging of tycho-extras 0.13.0? We need the
release of both tycho and tycho-extras before we can benefit from the
work we have done for 0.13.0, so it would be good to have this
release soon.
Staged at

https://repository.sonatype.org/content/repositories/tycho-005/

I had to disable tests because I was getting NPE below. Don't know if we
should be concerned or not.

Test set:
org.eclipse.tycho.test.TYCHO406testArgLineConfiguration.TestArgLineConfigurationTest
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.043
sec <<< FAILURE!
testLocalMavenRepository(org.eclipse.tycho.test.TYCHO406testArgLineConfiguration.TestArgLineConfigurationTest)
Time elapsed: 0.006 sec <<< ERROR!
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.eclipse.tycho.test.util.EnvironmentUtil.getTestSettings(EnvironmentUtil.java:84)
at
org.eclipse.tycho.test.AbstractTychoIntegrationTest.getSettings(AbstractTychoIntegrationTest.java:114)
at
org.eclipse.tycho.test.AbstractTychoIntegrationTest.getVerifier(AbstractTychoIntegrationTest.java:51)
at
org.eclipse.tycho.test.TYCHO406testArgLineConfiguration.TestArgLineConfigurationTest.testLocalMavenRepository(TestArgLineConfigurationTest.java:28)
at
at
at
org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
at
org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:20)
at
org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runNotIgnored(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:79)
at
org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:71)
at
org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:49)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:193)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:52)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:191)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:42)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:184)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:236)
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4TestSet.execute(JUnit4TestSet.java:53)
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:119)
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:101)
at
at
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ClassLoaderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:103)
at $Proxy0.invoke(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireStarter.invokeProvider(SurefireStarter.java:150)
at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireStarter.runSuitesInProcess(SurefireStarter.java:91)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:69)
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
Is there anything we can do to make the process of releasing Tycho
easier and faster? How do other projects without committer from
Sonatype get their content into Maven central? Would this be an
option for Tycho? Would it help if we fixed the release dates of
Tycho in advance, allowing you to better plan the efforts needed for
a release?
Just get the code to eclipse.org already. Once this is done, releasing
new version will be as easy as writing release docuware and getting few
approvals
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/HOWTO/Release_Reviews ;-)

--
Regards,
Igor
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-09-20 13:36:58 UTC
Sorry for the NPE, I guess this was my doing again...

Still, the staged version works as expected. I do not expect more feedback from tycho-user about 0.13.0 and have verified both tycho [1] and tycho-extras [2], so please go ahead and release both staging repositories.

Thanks & best regards
Tobias

[1] https://repository.sonatype.org/content/repositories/tycho-002/
[2] https://repository.sonatype.org/content/repositories/tycho-005/
-----
[...]
39)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorIm
pl.java:25)
Igor Fedorenko