Tycho 0.22.0 staged
Sievers, Jan
2014-11-24 08:15:56 UTC
Tycho milestone release 0.22.0 has been staged.

For details of new features and bugfixes, see release notes [1].
Please help by testing the staged milestone build. To use it, change your tycho version to 0.22.0 and add snippet [2] to your pom.

We plan to promote this release in one week unless major regressions are found.

Regards,
Tycho team

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.22
[2]
<pluginRepositories>
<pluginRepository>
<id>tycho-staged</id>
<url>https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgeclipsetycho-1020</url>
</pluginRepository>
</pluginRepositories>
Jeff MAURY
2014-11-24 11:41:26 UTC
Tested it against my product build. Some UT are failing (SWTBot widget
errors and commons logging unable to load a dependent class). I checked the
generated class path for the test and it does not seem to be different: do
you think running Maven with -X could help ? Build is OK with Tycho 0.21.0

Jeff
Sievers, Jan
2014-11-24 12:30:32 UTC
-X should give you some more details about which bundles are part of the test OSGi runtime.
you may also compare the target/ folder of the test bundle, in particular generated files in target/work

Jan

Jeff MAURY
2014-11-24 12:37:39 UTC
I already compared the list of the bundles in config.ini but seen no
difference

Jeff
Post by Sievers, Jan
-X should give you some more details about which bundles are part of the test OSGi runtime.
you may also compare the target/ folder of the test bundle, in particular
generated files in target/work
Jan
On Behalf Of Jeff MAURY
Sievers, Jan
2014-11-24 13:00:50 UTC
may be related to

http://git.eclipse.org/c/tycho/org.eclipse.tycho.git/commit/?id=0449913869b5efc79ec8a4cdbcdaab56aafd8b8d

but hard to tell without a sample project.

Jan

Jeff MAURY
2015-01-19 09:51:13 UTC
I have spent some tile about the issue and discovered that this is related
to commons-logging/log4j.
commons-loggings tries to guess the logging framework to use and it uses
the thread context class loader to load some classes. It starts with Log4j
and as the thread context class loader seems to be set by either surefire
or tycho-surefire, it think that the log4j is ok.
But later, usung reflection, it tries to get method handles on the
commons-logging provider and this fails as the commons-logging bundle has
no dependency on the log4j provider.
I have found a workaround by forcing the log provider to be SimpleLog
instead of Log4J.
You were right, ths seems to be related on classpath change in tycho
surefire 0.22.0.
I will try to reproduce the problem with a simple project and let you know

Jeff
Sent: Montag, 24. November 2014 12:41
[...]

working and scaling.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury
Sievers, Jan
2015-01-19 10:07:41 UTC
tycho-surefire doesn't use Thread.currentThread.setContextClassLoader() directly.

surefire-booter (which Tycho uses) does though:

https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/blob/master/surefire-booter/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/surefire/booter/ProviderFactory.java

it's perfectly possible there was a classloader behaviour change that came with the upgrade from surefire 2.10 to 2.17.

Jan

[...]

"Legacy code" often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling.

Matthias Sohn
2014-11-28 09:17:07 UTC
Post by Sievers, Jan
Tycho milestone release 0.22.0 has been staged.
For details of new features and bugfixes, see release notes [1].
Please help by testing the staged milestone build. To use it, change your
tycho version to 0.22.0 and add snippet [2] to your pom.
looks good, works like a charm for JGit and EGit builds

Matthias
SCHREIBER.Martin
2014-11-28 09:40:49 UTC
Same here
building our RCPs (~300 Plugins, ~30 Features, 5 Products) with 0.22.0 works fine.